Dear sponsors and supporters,
after a long and arduous journey to Gope/Lohkim in the south of the Solu Khumbu, we know that through the construction of the health station something very important will change there for the population, especially for the women and girls.
The journey to Gope takes two days with an overnight stay in Halaisi. 8 - 10 hours driving per day are necessary. The region is only accessible by motorized vehicle for about 6 months of the year. A pickup truck is essential. Gope is located in the underdeveloped part of Solu Khumbu, it is not on any trekking route.
Situation in Gope
Here are some facts about the health and social structure in the district of Gope/Lohkim.
- Last year 20 babies died during birth or in the first months after birth because there was no professional help locally available.
- The nearest government aid station is about a 2-hour walk from Gope. It is not reliably staffed on a regular basis, and there are no premises to attend to the sick or to provide obstetric care. These stations usually resemble a dark shed rather than a medical facility.
- The necessary medicines provided by the state are rarely available, according to the health committee in Gope. There is no traceable accountability for the respective health station.
- The nearest government hospital is in Dhulikhell, a place just outside Kathmandu. This means 2 days by jeep. The transport costs about 900€, if there is a vehicle available at all and the road towards Kathmandu is passable. This is never affordable for 90% of the inhabitants.
- The women are mostly on their own. 80% of the men work abroad or in trekking and are away for years or months.